By: KC Canlas
1. 233 designs were submitted for the Opera House international design competition held in 1956. Jørn Utzon from Denmark was announced the winner, receiving ₤5000 for his design.
2. Sydney Opera House was built in 14 years. Original estimate was only four years. Construction started in 1959 with over 10,000 workers.
3. Paul Robeson was the first person to perform at Sydney Opera House. In 1960, he climbed the scaffolding and sang Ol' Man River to the construction workers as they ate lunch.
4. It was added to the UNESCO’s World Heritage List in 2007.
5. It consists of over 1 million roof tiles that were made in Sweden.
6. Arnold Schwarzenegger won his final Mr. Olympia body building title in 1980 in the Concert Hall.
7. Sydney Opera House has over 10.9 million annually.